If you have a long layover at Austin Airport, also known as Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), you might be wondering if you can leave the airport to explore the vibrant city of Austin, Texas. Fortunately, the answer is yes! Austin is a vibrant and exciting city with plenty of attractions and things to do, which makes it a great destination to explore during a layover. However, before you venture out, there are a few things you should consider.
Duration of Layover
First and foremost, you need to consider the duration of your layover. Generally, a layover of at least six to eight hours is recommended to give you enough time to leave the airport, explore Austin, and return in time for your next flight. Ideally, aim for a layover of 10 hours or more to thoroughly enjoy your time in the city without feeling rushed or stressed.
Immigration and Security
Before leaving the airport during a layover, you must go through immigration and security procedures. Ensure that you have all necessary travel documents ready, including a valid passport, visa (if applicable), and any other required documents. After you pass through immigration and security, you are free to explore the city.
Austin Airport is conveniently located just a few miles southeast of downtown Austin, making transportation to and from the city easily accessible. Here are some transportation options available:
- Ride-sharing services: Apps like Uber and Lyft are widely available in Austin, providing quick and convenient transportation to your desired destinations.
- Taxis: You can find taxis readily available outside the terminal, offering a more traditional means of transportation.
- Car rentals: If you prefer the flexibility of having your own vehicle, several car rental companies operate at the airport.
- Public transportation: Austin also has an efficient public transportation system, including buses and trains, which can take you to various parts of the city.
Choose the transportation option that best suits your preferences and budget.
Things to Do in Austin During a Layover
Now that you know you can leave the airport and have transportation options at your disposal, it’s time to explore the exciting attractions Austin has to offer. Here are some top recommendations for things to do in Austin during a layover:
- Visit the State Capitol: Explore the magnificent Texas State Capitol, located in downtown Austin. Take a guided tour or explore the building on your own, marveling at the stunning architecture and learning about Texas history.
- Soak up the Live Music Scene: Austin is often referred to as the “Live Music Capital of the World.” Immerse yourself in the vibrant music scene by visiting famous venues like the White Horse or Continental Club, where you can enjoy live performances by local musicians.
- Stroll Along Lady Bird Lake: Take a leisurely walk or bike ride along Lady Bird Lake, a picturesque reservoir bordered by a beautiful trail. Enjoy the scenic beauty and catch glimpses of the city skyline while embracing nature.
- Explore South Congress Avenue: South Congress Avenue, or SoCo, is a trendy neighborhood filled with quirky boutiques, vintage shops, and eclectic restaurants. Sample delicious local cuisine and shop for unique souvenirs to remember your time in Austin.
- Indulge in Tex-Mex Cuisine: No visit to Austin is complete without indulging in the mouthwatering Tex-Mex cuisine. Try some delicious tacos, enchiladas, or queso at renowned local restaurants such as Torchy’s Tacos or Hula Hut.
- Visit Zilker Park: Zilker Park is a sprawling green space in the heart of Austin, offering opportunities for picnicking, hiking, and even kayaking on the river. Enjoy the fresh air and relax in this urban oasis.
- Take a Dip in Barton Springs Pool: Located within Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool is a natural spring-fed pool with crystal-clear water. It’s perfect for a refreshing swim, especially on a hot day.
- Explore the Texas Hill Country: If you have a longer layover or are willing to travel a bit farther, consider venturing into the scenic Texas Hill Country. Visit wineries, hike through nature parks, or simply take a drive through the picturesque landscapes.
Returning to the Airport
Make sure to plan your return to the airport with ample time to go through security and immigration checks before your next flight. Allow yourself enough time to account for traffic or any unforeseen delays. It is advised to be at the airport at least two hours before your international flight departure time and one hour before domestic flights.
If you have a long layover at Austin Airport, taking the opportunity to explore the vibrant city of Austin can make your travel experience even more exciting and memorable. Remember to consider the duration of your layover, go through necessary immigration checks, and choose suitable transportation options. With plenty of attractions and activities to choose from, Austin offers a diverse range of experiences for travelers with long layovers. Don’t miss the chance to soak up the unique atmosphere of this lively Texan city!