The autonomous region of Cantabria is located in northern Spain and borders Asturias, Leon and Castile.
The region is washed by the Bay of Biscay, which the Spaniards call the Cantabrian Sea.
The territory of Cantabria occupies the northern part of the Iberian Peninsula and is located near the Cordillera mountain range.
Capital and major major cities
The region is divided into three geographic zones:
- The La Marina area is a coastal area with hills, rocks, reefs and valleys.
- La Montalha is a mountainous region that is also part of the Cordillera.
- Kompoo is an area with vast valleys, low hills and a mild climate.
The capital and the largest population center of the region is Santander, which has won the fame of “elegant” city among tourists.
Cantabria includes only one province with the same name.
The largest cities in the region:
- Torrelavega is the second most important city after the capital.
- Castro-Urdiales is a fishing town in the seaside area.
- Larego is a very popular resort.
- Suances is famous for its clean beaches.
- Potes is a town steeped in medieval spirit.
- Comillas is famous for its architecture.
Cantabria is a real tourist attraction in terms of attractions.
Particularly popular are the rock art caves, which are included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The region is also famous for its unique monasteries, castles, palaces and churches, which can be viewed endlessly.
There are also many museums in Cantabria:
- ethnographical museum;
- maritime museum;
- Museum of Nature and Archeology;
- Museum of Fine Arts;
- Museum of Cantabria, etc.
The beaches of the Costa de Cantabria
The coastal area of Cantabria has long won fame as an area with fabulous beaches.
The coast is considered one of the most picturesque and cleanest in all of Europe.
There are a great many beaches, and each has its own charm:
- Brasomar beach is famous for its clear water and golden sand;
- Disido beach is located in a bay and surrounded by hills;
- Ostend beach is characterized by a gentle slope and calm surf;
- on the Regaton beach you can ride a canoe and a yacht;
- on Berria – to admire the waves and surfers;
- the beach of Kovachos is ideal for a relaxing and secluded getaway.
Major airports and transport
The international airport of the region is Santander Airport, located eight kilometers from the center of the capital of Cantabria.
The airport operates flights to Brussels, Dusseldorf, Bergamo, Frankfurt, Rome, Dublin and London.
Also in the region there are rail and bus connections between the cities.
Due to the complexity of construction in mountainous areas, the main routes run along the coast, in the mountains there are still not enough roads.
Main routes of the province:
- Santander – Bilbao;
- Santander – Asturias;
- Santander – Madrid (via Avila and Palencia).
Weather and climatic conditions
The climate in Cantabria is humid and mild, but in the highlands it is harsher (it is frosty in winter and cool in summer).
On the Costa de Cantabria itself, there are no cold winters (the average temperature is + 8-9 ° C), but in summer there is no suffocating heat (the temperature rarely exceeds + 25 ° C).
In the north of the region, the climate is oceanic, and in the south – Mediterranean.
Precipitation occurs mainly in mountainous areas, the wind is dry and warm.
The average water temperature is + 22-23 ° С, and in heated coves + 25 ° С.
There are no strong changes here, which makes the rest pleasant and comfortable.