Australia is huge but less populated. In terms of area, it is the sixth country in the world. But its population is comparable to it. The population of the metropolitan area. Of Seoul or Mexico City. This is due to the fact that cities separated. By huge distances and, having left one city. You need to prepared for a long journey. To the next island of order.
Traveling by car
In Australia, traffic is on the left. Overseas guests, who drive on the right. Should be careful and careful to navigate Australian roads. At least until they become accustomed to this. Car rental companies and the local (friendly). Police will provide information whether. Your license is valid in Australia. Distances and speeds measured in kilometers. And fuel sold in liters.
Australia has a well-maintained road and highway system. Here, as in any large country. Road transport wide used. Most state capitals are connected to the rest by good highways. Some of them have a double lane. But many sections are single lane. In isolated areas, roads are not of the best quality. And in places are dusty dirt roads or even ruts. The journey between the two major centers is long.
Here are the estimated travel times between major cities:
- Melbourne – Sydney: 9-10 hours (approximately 900 kilometers);
- Brisbane – Sydney: 12-13 hours (approximately 1000 kilometers);
- Perth – Sydney: 50 hours (approximately 4100 kilometers);
- Sydney – Canberra: 3–3.5 hours (approximately 300 kilometers);
- Adalaida – Melbourne: 8-10 hours (approximately 750 kilometers);
- Brisbane – Melbourne: 19–20 hours (approximately 1700 kilometers);
- Melbourne – Perth: 40 hours (approximately 3,500 kilometers);
- Perth – Adelaide: 32 Hours (approximately 2700 kilometers).
Although the main expressways are well serviced. It is advisable for anyone heads inland to consult with the locals. Stock up on fuel, spare parts, spare tires, matches. Food and water (at least 4 gallons (ca. 15 l) per person). It’s rare to see passing cars on these roads. So it’s best to bring a satellite phone with you for emergency calls. It is advisable to inform the local police. About your intended route of movement.
It’s a good idea to notify your family about your travel. It will allow them to promptly notify government services. In case you do not report your arrival. At your destination at the agreed time. People going inland have to wait for a week or more for help. And are lucky if someone notices their absence. Heat and lack of water at any time of the year. Lead a person to an early death. If you find yourself in a difficult situation. Stay close to your vehicle so that you can see from the air. Do not take this advice lightly. As even the locals die in these places.
Traveling by plane
Due to the long distances between cities. It is best to use flights to get around. The cost of the flight is low. Especially if paid in advance. Departures are timely. Service on the main business highway Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane is well-developed. It is the bus service. Departures occur every 15 minutes throughout the day.
The main domestic airlines in Australia are:
- Qantas is Australia’s largest air carrier. And the only nationwide airline to fly to. All major cities and regional centers;
- Virgin Australia is a nationwide limited-service low-cost airline. That operates flights to major cities and regional centers;
- Jetstar, a low-cost dependent of Qantas. Flies to major cities in eastern Australia, New Zealand, and Perth;
- Tiger Airways Australia is one of the largest Australian airlines. Based in Melbourne, serving mainland cities and Tasmania. The prices are competitive. The company also operates flights. To Singapore and back via Darwin or Perth;
- Regional Express – provides air links between large and small cities on the east coast;
- Skywest – Serves Western Australia;
- Airnorth – Serves the Northern Territory.
- Flight prices vary depending on the airline.
Traveling by train
Visitors from countries with developed rail connections. Such as Europe and Japan. May surprised by the poor developed high-speed service. Between cities in Australia. The reasons for this are weak interstate cooperation. Coupled with the vast distances and the small number of passengers carried.
Therefore, transport by rail travels relatively slowly. And used for cargo shipping. Thus, travel by train in Australia will not be faster than by plane. But it will cost less, although it depends on the route chosen. A train ride is much more spectacular and tourists traveling. By train have time to see much more. Than they would have seen traveling by other means of transport.
The main rail companies in Australia are listed below:
- Great Southern Rail – includes The Ghan, The Overland, and Indian Pacific
- CountryLink – provides connections between the cities of New South Wales, and also connects Sydney and Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra;
- CityRail is a rail network that spans Sydney, connecting it to the regional cities of Newcastle, Maitland, Valangong, Nauru, Blue Mountains and Lithgow, as well as central coast cities in New South Wales;
- V / Line Passenger – provides transport services in Victoria, and also deals with transporting passengers between Melbourne and Adelaide and Melbourne and Canberra by road trains.
- Melbourne Public Transport – Provides information about trains, trams and buses in the Melbourne area.
- TransWA – provides rail services in Western Australia;
- TransPerth – provides rail and bus services in Perth;
- Queensland Rail – Traveltrain – provides long-distance passenger transportation in Queensland;
- The Savannahlander is a unique transportation service between Cairns and Forsyth, located in the Australian Outback.
Getting around by bus
The buses run 365 days a year and carry 1.3 million passengers. Covering distances of over 29 million km a year. Greyhound is the largest charter flight company. There are various types of tickets on its routes. It helps you maintain your own rhythm of movement. Changing it as many times as your ticket allows.
Ferry crossing is a common mode of transportation in Australia. The main ferry is between Melbourne and Devonport (Tasmania). Company The Spirit of Tasmania engaged in daily transportation. Of passengers on the route, which runs through the Bass Strait. There is a ferry service between Palm Beach. Located on Sydney’s North Beaches and the central coast of New South Wales.