Hawaiian dishes are diverse. Local chefs strive to surprise guests with their culinary abilities. Therefore, in Hawaii, every gourmet will be able to find a suitable dish for himself.
History of Hawaiian Cuisine
In the 300s and 500s, there were few edible plants on the islands. Several species of ferns and fruits could be found. Travelers brought to the islands many varieties of plants, pigs and chickens. Catching flightless birds has spread. Eggs from the nests began to be eaten. Local residents began fishing and algae extraction.
An important role in the formation of the Hawaiian menu was played by immigrants from Japan, Korea, China, Portugal and the Philippines. Travelers shared their ideas and recipes with local chefs. Cooks, in turn, supplemented and changed them.
The indigenous people on their lands began to grow new vegetables and fruits. Sea gifts began to be found as ingredients or individual dishes. Hawaiians created their own specialties.
The main features of the cuisine of the Hawaiian Islands
Among the main products of Hawaiian cuisine, breadfruit is distinguished. Its fruits are consumed raw, baked or boiled.
Meat and fish are often cooked in earthen ovens according to special recipes. Since the XIX century. the menu included beef. Meat is eaten dried, baked or canned, as well as marinated in soy sauce.
An integral ingredient of all dishes are various seasonings. Spices consist of sea Hawaiian salt, algae, ground nuts and sugar cane.
Useful properties of the kitchen
Cooks when cooking use only natural products.
Exotic fruits contain many vitamins. Pineapples stimulate the digestive system, and the use of mangoes favorably affects the tone of the heart.
Carambola replaces the sedative and helps relieve headaches. Hawaiians love to chew sugar cane – it cleans their teeth.
Many dishes include herbaceous plants, making the food easy and healthy. Fish and seafood are an excellent source of protein.
What products are often used in island cuisine
A lot of vegetables and fruits are grown on the fertile lands of the islands, the coastal waters are rich in seafood. These ingredients are often found in island cuisine.
A few decades ago, pineapples were the only edible fruits that were eaten raw. And now they are eaten not only for dessert, but also added to pastries, sauces, meat dishes.
Tropical fruits of coconut palms are consumed raw or cooked. They make gelatin, oil, puddings. Coconuts are used for cocktails, and they also serve as a filling in pastries and desserts.
The plant is found in different parts of the islands.
Tarot has an unusual bland taste. Tubers and leaves are eaten.
To make the plant edible, it is boiled. In local restaurants, tarot is served in the form of pudding or chips. Porridge cooked from this plant goes well with fish or pork.
Grain crops are grown all over the coast. Rice serves as a side dish to meat and fish dishes.
Different varieties of fish
There are many species of oceanic fish in the sea, among which can be noted mahi, uluu, ahi, opakapaka, tuna and swordfish. It is baked, fried, boiled. Fish salads are in great demand in local restaurants and cafes.
What dishes to try in Hawaii
Hawaiian cuisine is multifaceted, so it will not be possible to limit yourself to one national dish.
A delicious and nutritious dish that consists of 3 layers: boiled rice, meat cutlet and fried egg. Loko-moko on top is poured with a thick meat sauce, which has a sweet and sour taste and dark color. The dish in different parts of the island is prepared in its own way. As a layer, add bacon, ham, fish or shrimp.
A traditional dish that includes raw fish, cut into small cubes. Most often it is a yellowfin tuna or octopus. Poké is served as an appetizer or as a separate dish.
The root dish of Hawaiian cuisine consists of pork wrapped in colocasia or luau leaves. It is baked for several hours in an underground oven. Instead of pork, you can use cod, chicken or spinach.
The dessert is presented in the form of a casserole of tarot and grated coconut. It tastes like caramel. The leaves of the plants are stuffed with a mixture of crushed taro and coconut, and then baked for 7 hours. Kulolo has a dense consistency, so it is cut into pieces, and during the meal the delicacy is thoroughly chewed.
A viscous mass is prepared from a baked or boiled local taro plant. Poi is eaten with their hands. The dish has a peculiar taste, which changes after some time. Fresh poi is sweet, but every day it loses its sweetness and becomes slightly sour.
The dish is made from stewed meat (preferably beef), rice, ginger, algae, taro leaves, coconut cream and pepper. Luau is loved to eat by both locals and tourists.
On a cardboard plate that has several compartments, impose:
- meat (more often pork) with hot sauce;
- fish cooked in batter;
- lettuce and gravy.
A popular snack of salted salmon, tomatoes and Maui onions. There is no single recipe for cooking. Therefore, each chef adds different ingredients to his taste and desire. Lettuce is eaten cold, sometimes even ice cubes are put in it.
This is the name of the kebab in Hawaiian chicken. As a marinade, a mixture of ketchup, soy sauce, pineapple syrup, finely chopped garlic and ginger is prepared. Marinated pieces of meat are cooked on a spit. They are constantly rotated so as not to get burned.
The Hawaiian Islands often host traditional open-air festivals. The events are accompanied by local music. Initially, the day of fertility was celebrated in this way, but over time they began to hold parties in honor of the arrival of guests, celebrate birthdays, weddings and other holidays. Visitors to the festival wear traditional shirts and necklaces made of shells and stones.
Local chefs prepare many treats:
- Pineapple boats with fried rice.
- Grilled shrimp.
- Salads with salmon and tuna.
- Haupia – pudding made from coconuts and bananas.
- Pinot coladu is an alcoholic jelly.
- Cocktail “Scorpion” is a drink containing gin, brandy, rum, almond syrup and edible flowers.
The main dish on the festive table is kalua. It is a wild boar or pig roasted in the oven.
The holiday can drag on for several days. The party ends with dancing, drum music and a fire show.
Residents and guests of the island prefer kave-kave. It is a soothing and toning local tea.
Hawaiian drinks are prepared from exotic fruits.
Among them are:
- “Waikiki” – a cocktail of rum and guava juice, which has a dark color;
- “Lava flow” is an alcoholic beverage made from rum and coconut syrup.
The islands have a large selection of fruit wines and Hawaiian beers.
Delicious and hearty food will be appreciated by any gourmet.
Salmon with sesame and vegetables
To prepare the dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- salmon fillet – 300 g;
- bell pepper – 280 g;
- champignons – 240 g;
- cherry tomatoes – 240 g;
- onion – 200 g;
- white sesame – 60 g;
- teriyaki sauce – 120 g;
- salt and pepper – to taste;
- olive oil (for frying) – 1 tbsp. l
- Chop the onion with feathers. Wash the vegetables and cut them into small cubes.
- Sprinkle the fillet with sesame, pepper and salt on all sides and send to a hot skillet. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the fish over and reduce the heat to medium.
- Place the mushrooms and onions next to the salmon in a frying pan. Fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add cherries, mushrooms and bell peppers to the vegetables. Pour the sauce over them and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Place the salmon fillet and the vegetable garnish on a plate. Sprinkle with herbs.
Shrimp with radishes
- boiled shrimp – 400 g;
- leaf lettuce – 200 g;
- fresh cucumbers – 4 pcs.;
- radishes – 8 pcs.;
- bell pepper – 1 pc.;
- tomatoes – 2 pcs.;
- olive oil – 3 tbsp;
- herbs, spices and salt – to taste.
- Wash and chop the lettuce leaves.
- Boiled shrimp can be peeled, royal ones can simply be cut in half.
- Chop the peppers, cucumbers and radishes into cubes with a straw.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Mix all ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, you can add finely chopped greens.
- Dress the salad with butter.
Poke with chicken
- rice – 400 g;
- chicken fillet – 400 g;
- avocado – 1 pc.;
- eggs – 4 pcs.;
- olive oil – 4 tbsp;
- sesame and greens – at will.
For the marinade you will need:
- teriyaki sauce – 4 tbsp;
- mirin – 2 tsp;;
- sugar and grated ginger root – 1 tsp each;
- potato starch – 0.5 tsp.
- Mix the myrin, ginger, starch, sugar and sauce.
- Cut the fillet into large pieces, pour the marinade and let it brew in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Fry the chicken or bake it in the oven until golden brown.
- Boil the rice and eggs.
- Cut the avocado into wide slices.
- On a plate, put first the rice, then the pieces of chicken. Top with avocado and eggs cut in half.
If desired, you can decorate the dish with sesame and nuts.
To prepare a vegetable poke, you will need the following ingredients:
- brown rice – 200 g;
- avocado – 50 g;
- fresh cucumbers – 60 g;
- tomatoes (you can take cherry) – 60 g;
- lettuce leaves (chuk) – 80 g;
- tofu – 100 g;
- sesame seeds – 2 tsp.
- Boil the rice and place in a deep salad bowl.
- Place the diced tofu on the rice.
- Sprinkle chopped lettuce and vegetables on top of the dish.
Garnish the food with sesame.