Washington’s hotels are the most convenient places. For tourists who come to see the capital of the United States. In 2018, this city considered one of the most expensive in America. Housing prices are even higher than in New York hotels. Even, if desired, every traveler can find a hotel in Washington. According to their budget.
Recommended the best hotels in Washington – our top 10:
respectable hotel 5 *
|The Hay – Adams|
5 * opposite the White House
|Kimpton Mason & Rook|
budget hotel 5 *
modern hotel 4 *
|Capitol Hill Hotel|
hotel 4 *, near the Capitol
best hotel 4 * Georgetown
micro-hotel 3 * in the center
|Residence Inn Capitol Hill|
inexpensive hotel 3 * near the metro
hotel 2 * with free parking
|HI – Washington|
nice youth hostel
In general, hotels in Washington are quite expensive. The price range quite wide. From $ 80 to $ 500 for a regular room, depending on the category of the hotel and its location. Luxury apartments will cost more than $ 700 per day.
- The average price for a room in Washington hotels is $ 150-250 per night.
- A good hotel in the very center will cost more. At least 200 USD per day (excluding taxes).
- Unlike the even more expensive New York. Finding a hotel in Washington DC for under $ 100 is pretty easy. You need to choose accommodation not in the very center. (but next to the metro so that it is convenient to travel). And book the cheapest room here in advance .
In which area of Washington is it better to choose a hotel
Washington is the capital of the United States. One of the most convenient cities in America. Located in the District of Columbia (DC). Not part of any state. Unlike huge Los Angeles. It is quite compact with well-organized transportation. It will be convenient to stay here in almost any area. But it is better to be closer to the metro station. In order to quickly travel by train to the city center. However, it should be borne in mind that for example, in such a famous area as Georgetown. There are no subway stations, which will require you to go there by taxi or bus.
Important to know
The most convenient hotels in Washington, besides Downtown, are located in the East End and West End. These districts are located on either side of the National Mall, a pedestrian and park area that contains the main attractions of Washington (museums, galleries and memorials). Hotel prices are quite high here, as they are all very popular with tourists due to their advantageous location. The presence of metro stations provides additional attractiveness.
- Washington DC hotels in the city center are best chosen in Downtown. Located north of the White House. There are cool five-star hotels like the Mayflower and cheaper accommodation options like Capital Hilton , Morrison Clark Inn .
- Finding a small budget hotel in the West End is almost impossible. As businessmen love to settle in this area of Washington. It is convenient for them to live closer to K Street, where the offices of many large international companies are located. But the choice of large high-class hotels is quite large – for every taste and budget (from Hilton Garden Inn 3 * to Ritz-Carlton 5 * ).
- Hotels in the East End are generally cheaper (from $ 99 ), because it is a rather lively area near the central station, although within walking distance to the main attractions of the National Mall. There is also Chinatown, and the streets are full of bars, restaurants and cafes. You can spend the night inexpensively at the Washington Court Hotel or at the Phoenix Park Hotel .
To save on the budget of your trip to Washington. It is better to choose a hotel a little further from the center, for example, a little north – in the Dupont Circle area or east – near Capitol Hill. It will be better for those who come to Washington DC by car to live there. Due to the cheaper hotel parking (from $ 25), since you will have to pay an additional $ 50 and more to park your car in the center.
The best Washington DC neighbourhoods with good hotels for tourists are :
- Capitol Hill (Capitol Hill) – the largest historic district, there is the US Congress
Hotel with Good Review: Capitol Hill Hotel , the Hyatt Regency , Capitol Skyline ; Prices from $ 110
- Downtown (Downtown) – the city center near the White House, the safest area of parks and museums
Hotels: The Hay – Adams , Mayflower , Holiday Inn ; Cheap hotel prices start at $ 85
- South-West Federal Center (Southwest Federal Center) – the area around the museums of the Smithsonian Institution with government buildings and housing expensive
hotels: the Mandarin Oriental , the Hyatt Place is ; Prices from $ 125
- Dupont Circle (Dupont Circle) / Kalorama Heights (Kalorama Heights) – Historic Washington city center with many good hotels
Hotels: of The Dupont Circle , of The Hotel The Normandy ; Prices from $ 79
- Foggy Bottom – one of the oldest neighborhoods, the US Department of State and George Washington University are located here.
Hotels: State Plaza , Hotel Hive ; Prices from $ 85
- Logan Circle is a historic neighborhood with affordable hotels located northeast of Downtown and named after John Logan, a general in the Republican Army.
Hotels: Washington Plaza , Kimpton Mason & Rook ; Prices from $ 125
- Mount Vernon Square (Mt. Vernon Square) – one of the city’s main squares, metro station
Hotels: Marriott Marquis , Homewood Suites By Hilton , Pod DC ; Prices from $ 89
- West End – an area of luxury hotels, expensive apartments and the best restaurants
The Fairmont (500 m to the metro), Hilton Garden Inn ; Prices from $ 95
- Georgetown – the most beautiful area of Washington with expensive housing located in the north-west of the Mall and is famous for its entertainment and business atmosphere
Hotels: Ritz-Carlton , Four Seasons ; Prices from $ 124
- Woodley Park (Woodley Park) – the area with the subway near the zoological park and the Duke Ellington Bridge
Hotels: Marriott Wardman Park then ; Prices from $ 99
Travelers arriving in Washington by bus or planning to travel to the western United States by train should choose a hotel near Union Station (we recommend the Phoenix Park Hotel ). Find more housing options near Union Station here .
Phoenix Park Hotel 3 * near Central Station
Cheap Washington DC hotels can be found in the following suburbs :
- Arlington – an eastern suburb of Washington on the other side of the Potomac River, includes the Crystal City area, which houses the Ronald Reagan Airport
Hotels: Residence Inn , Red Lion ; Prices from $ 56
- Alexandria is a port city with a Masonic National Memorial, located on the west bank of the river, 10 km from Washington. This is where Fox Mulder from The X-Files lived.
Hotels: Red Roof Inn , Days Inn (in the south of the city), Hilton Garden Inn (near the metro); Prices from $ 60
- National Harbor – a boutique and entertainment district on the right bank of the Potomac River, southwest of downtown Washington
Hotels: Hampton Inn & Suites , MGM National Harbor , Wyndham Vacation Resort ; Prices from $ 120
Unlike Los Angeles and San Francisco, all areas of Washington have relatively low crime rates due to the large number of police forces, especially in the center. Therefore, you can safely choose a hotel in any area of the city, it is safe there almost everywhere.
GREAT OFFERS – WASHINGTON HOTELS WITH DISCOUNTS:
5 star hotels in Washington DC
Here are the best 5 star Washington DC hotels:
- Trump International is a respectable hotel, located near the National Mall
- Four Seasons is one of the best and most expensive hotels located 2 km from the White House
- Mandarin Oriental is a luxury hotel in the heart of Washington DC, next to the Lincoln MemorialMandarin Oriental Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton – an expensive hotel in a restored industrial building in the historic district
- The Hay – Adams – historic hotel overlooking the White House, great service
- The Jefferson Hotel is a boutique hotel dedicated to Thomas Jefferson with a spa
- Willard Intercontinental – Another historic next to the White House, on Pennsylvania Avenue
- Kimpton Mason & Rook is an inexpensive and very comfortable 5 * hotel in the Logan Circle area
Willard Intercontinental 5 *
4 star hotels
Recommended highly rated, well reviewed 4 star Washington DC hotels:
|Hyatt Regency – Rating 8.4 The best 4 * hotel near the Capitol, close to museums and the train station, awesome breakfasts|
|Liason Capitol Hill – Rating 8.2 Modern hotel with a rooftop pool, 5 minutes from the Capitol|
|Marriott Marquis – Rating 9.2 Large modern hotel with cozy rooms, near the congress center|
|The Fairmont – rating 9.0 Wonderful hotel in Georgetown, 500 meters from the Foggy Bottom tube station|
|State Plaza – rating 9.0 Another hotel with comfortable rooms near G. Washington University|
|The Dupont Circle – Rating 9.0 Conveniently located hotel near the metro in Dupont Circle|
|Marriott Wardman Park – Rating 8.4 Affordable 4 star hotel close to Woodley Park tube station|
Hotel Hive 3 *
Cheap hotels 3 stars
Here are some of the best accommodations to stay in Washington, DC:
- Residence Inn Capitol Hill – Convenient budget hotel with fitness center 1.5 km from the Supreme Court
- Holiday Inn – a comfortable hotel with a restaurant and a swimming pool in the city center, next to the White House
- Washington Plaza is a good and relatively inexpensive hotel with a pool in Logan Circle
- Hotel Hive is the first micro-hotel with small rooms in a historic building in Foggy Bottom
- The Normandy Hotel is a budget friendly hotel in Calorama Heights, easy to walk
- Pod DC is a stylish hotel with small rooms in Penn Quarter, across the street from Chinatown
The cheapest accommodation in Washington is a bed in a dormitory room for 6-8 people in a hostel (from $ 25 per day). Such accommodation (sometimes breakfast is included in the price) is best suited for young people to make new acquaintances and single travelers. We do not recommend staying in hostels for married couples for the sake of saving the budget, as there is a very specific atmosphere.
|DC Lofty is a stylish hostel with a shared kitchen, centrally located close to major attractions. There are separate rooms|
|HI – Washington is a popular youth hostel, very clean and with a good breakfast, 5 minutes from the metro. Double rooms available|
|HighRoad Hostel DC – hostel located in Dupont Circle in a restored Victorian mansion|
Hotels near the airport
In Washington, there are 2 airports within the city: Dulles International and Ronald Reagan National. There is another T. Marshall International Airport serving the Baltimore / Washington metropolitan area. We recommend that those who depart early in the morning or arrive late in the evening choose hotels near them.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) Hotels. link →
- Hotel near Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA): link →
- Hotels near Baltimore / Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI): link →
Where to book a hotel in Washington
The most convenient way to book a hotel in New York is online at Booking.com . It’s pretty easy to do it yourself. There is all the information about each hotel with photos, including a detailed description and reviews. As well as prices for your travel dates.
- To book a hotel in Washington, you will need your bank card (credit or debit – it does not matter), which is needed to guarantee your arrival. Usually, nothing is debited from her before arrival, but in some hotels they may block the advance, which is written in the conditions of your booking. That is, there will be no “surprises”.
- When you check in, you can also take a Security Deposit , which will be blocked on your card or taken in cash. It is usually equal to the cost of 1 night’s stay at this hotel and will be returned to you upon your check-out.
What else you need to know about housing in Washington
- In the United States, hotel room rates are excluding hotel tax . In Washington, it is an exorbitant 14.95% . Thus, the final price per room including accommodation tax will be significantly higher.
- Among other things, many hotels take a deposit for a room upon check-in (its amount is different everywhere), which may even exceed the cost of housing per day.
- We recommend booking a hotel in Washington with breakfast so as not to waste time in the morning looking for food and going to cafes.