Public land transport in Lisbon. Managed by the Carris company (the company’s website is http://www.carris.pt/en/home). Which began its activities in the city back in the 70s of the 19th century. Today it is in charge of city buses, trams, and funiculars.
In addition, Lisbon has a metro system http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/
Ferry services connecting the opposite bank of the Tagus River. Operated by Transtejo. The company’s website is http://www.transtejo.pt
To plan your trip around Lisbon. Including transfers to different modes of transport. Visit http://www.transporlis.pt.
Cost and payment methods for travel in Lisbon
One-time trips by land public transport
One-time trips by land public transport can pay in cash from the driver. When entering the vehicle through the front door. The cost of the trip depends on the type of transport:
- Buses 1.85 €
- Trams 2.90 €
- Funiculars Bica, Glória and Lavra 3.70 €. (ticket can be used for two trips)
- Lift Santa Justa 5,15 € (ticket can be used for two trips)
Trips using rechargeable transport cards “Viva Viagem” and “7 colinas”
To pay for travel in Lisbon. It is most convenient to use rechargeable transport cards. “Viva Viagem” or “7 colinas”. Such cards can purchase and top-up. At machines at metro stations. As well as at train stations. And at the airport. The cost of a refillable transport card in Lisbon is only €0.5.
Transport cards can use in all types of surface urban public transport. As well as in the metro, ferry. And commuter trains.
There are various types of filling of the transport card:
- Filling with “trips”. When you top up your card. You buy a certain number of “trips” around the city. Each of which has a fixed cost of €1.45. At the same time. Within an hour from the moment of “validation” of such a trip. You can make any number of transfers on public transport without re-payment. (however, you can enter the metro only once).
- In addition, you can record “trips” to the suburbs of Lisbon – to Sintra. Or Cascais on the transport card. The cost of such a trip will be €2.2.
- Funding with money using the Zapping system. This is a kind of debit system in which you can put 3, 5, 10, 15. (and so on) € on the card, and money debited from the card for each trip. In accordance with the cost of the trip. At the time of this writing, the cost of a trip to public transport in Lisbon. (Carris, Metro, as well as funiculars and the St. Justa elevator). Using the Zapping system was €1.3. In addition, within 60 minutes after the validation of the transport card. Using the Zapping system. Any number of transfers can made on the surface city transport of Carris. Without re-payment.
- It is convenient to pay with the Zapping system in all transport. Including funiculars, elevators, ferries, trains to Sintra or Cascais. While the cost will be less than when buying a “trip”. Or a one-time payment to the driver. For example. The cost of a trip through the Zapping system to Sintra. Or Cascais will be €1.85.
- Top-up with 24 hour passes. A 24-hour travel card can add to the transport card. Such a pass is valid from the moment of the first validation. Within 24 hours on all city public transport.
With various options. Depending on the cost:
- Carris / Metro, €6.30. Only valid in Lisbon. (all surface transport and metro).
- Traveling Cacilhas, worth €9.35, operates in Lisbon (all surface transport and metro). As well as ferry crossings. To the other side of the Tagus River in Cacilhas.
- Traveling all Lisboa, worth €10.40. It is valid in Lisbon (all surface transport and metro). As well as commuter trains to Cascais and Sintra.
Types of public transport in Lisbon and opening hours.
Metro in Lisbon public transport
The Lisbon metro has four lines that have six interchange stations. Each line got its own name and color:
- Vermelha red line
- Blue line Azul
- Verde Green Line
- Amarela yellow line
The working hours of the metro in Lisbon are from 6:30 am to 1:00 am.
The interval of train traffic is from 3-4 minutes. During rush hours. Up to 5-10 minutes in the daytime and in the evening.
It is interesting that in off-peak evenings. As well as on weekends. Short trains run in the Lisbon metro. At this time it is better to wait for the train. At the beginning of the platform. (from the head of the train).
Direction signs at the station entrance. Will help you choose the platform you want.
The transport payment card in the metro. Must be applied to the reader. At the turnstile both at the entrance. And at the exit.
For more information and to plan your trip. Visit the Lisbon Metro website http://www.metrolisboa.pt/eng/
Trams in Lisbon public transport
Lisbon’s trams have become the hallmark of the city. And their photos can see on advertising brochures. There are 57 trams operating on the tram routes of the city with a length of 48 km. These are models from different eras. Both modern low-floor Siemens trams. And old ones, which prowl along the narrow streets of the old city. Old trams are colorful. And you should include a trip on such. A colorful form of transport in the cultural program in Lisbon.
Trams run around from 06:00 to 21:00. Except for Route 15E, which ends at 01:00. And route 28E. It runs until 23:00. Be careful, after 21.00 trams on route 28E run on a shortened route. Before reaching the final stops.
Entrance to trams carried out through the front door. Where you can buy a one-time ticket from the driver. Or attach a transport card to the reader. All stops have a tram schedule.
Lisbon tram fares
- €2.90 when purchasing a single ticket from the driver
- €1.3 for the Zapping system from a transport card when using a reader. (the chance of transfers is valid within 60 minutes. After validation in ground transport)
City buses in Lisbon public transport
Lisbon has many bus routes. That, like the rest of public transport. Operated by Carris.
Day routes run from 5 to 6 am to 11 pm. (depending on route number). In addition, there are night routes. That run from 23.00 to 5.00 in the morning.
Entrance to buses carried out only through the front door. Where you can buy a one time ticket. From the driver. Or attach a transport card to the reader.
All stops have a bus timetable. You can check the public transport schedule on the Carris website http://www.carris.pt/en/buslines/
Lisbon city bus fares
- €1.85 when purchasing. A single ticket from the driver.
- €1.3 for the Zapping system from a transport card. When using a reader. (the chance of transfers is valid within 60 minutes. After validation in ground transport)
Funiculars in Lisbon
Lisbon is a hilly city. So it is not surprising that funiculars. Began to work here from the end of the 19th century. It lifted people to make it easier for them to climb home. There are 3 funiculars operating in Lisbon. It go up the rails, and 1 lift. The round trip fare for any of the following funiculars is €3.6. Your 7 Colinas / Viva Viagem card will be valid for travel. Depending on the type of ticket loaded. The price of your travel will be €1.3 or €1.4.
Funicular opening hours
- Bica. Monday to Saturday – 7:00 am to 9:00 pm. Sunday and holidays 9:00 / 9:00
- loria. Monday through Thursday – 7:15 am to 11:00 pm. Friday from 7:15 to 00:00 Saturday from 8:45 to 00:25. Sundays and holidays from 9:15 to 23:55.
- Lavra. Monday to Saturday – 7:50 am to 7:55 pm Sunday. And public holidays – from 9:00 am to 7:55 pm.
Elevator de Santa Justa
Santa Justa Lift in the tower. Commissioned in 1902 and is the only funicular lift. Lifting height 30 meters. The round-trip cost of the Santa Justa elevator is €5. The price includes a visit to the observation deck. A separate visit to the observation deck costs €1.5. The travel pass is not valid. The lift is open from April to October from 07:30 to 23:00. From November to April from 07:30 to 21:00. Opening hours of the observation deck. From April to October from 09:00 to 23:00. From November to April from 09:00 to 21:00.
Taxi in Lisbon
Lisbon, like any European city, has various taxi services. You will recognize a taxi by the color. And the Taxi Lisbon sign on the roof of the car. Green sign light- the car is free, red – busy. Cars can order by phone. Caught on the street or found in special parking lots. The color of the cars is black or cream. Taxis in Lisbon run a wide variety of brands. From old Mercedes to new Citroens.
The approximate prices for a taxi in Lisbon: €3.5 per landing. €0.90 for 1 km of the way. €14.80 for 1 hour of waiting. (i.e. you pay for idle traffic). At night from 21:00 to 6:00 there is a 20% surcharge. The cost of travel within the center should not exceed € 10-15.
You can take a taxi from the wheels. Find a free car at special taxi stands. Or call by phone. You will charge an additional €0.8 for a phone call.
But, not all taxi drivers in Lisbon are honest. Especially at the airport, and may not turn on the meter. Call an inflated fare, take a long road and not return forgotten things. Pay only after announcing the amount. It should coincide with the counter. And when you check whether all the things you took from the car.
As an alternative to a local taxi. You can order a taxi transfer. From a company in advance via the Internet.
Rent a car in Lisbon
If you feel the strength to travel on your own in Portugal. Then instead of public transport. You can rent a car at one of the rental offices. Or you can book a car on the reliable website Rental cars. The site compares rental prices from all companies. And you can choose a convenient option for yourself. Car rental prices start at around €15 per day.
Don’t forget about the high traffic fines in Europe. And note the following differences. The speed limit for cars: in the village – 50 km / h. Outside the settlement – 90 km / h; on the road – 100 km / h; on the highway – 120 km / h. The maximum allowed blood alcohol level is 0.49 ‰. Dipped beam required in the daytime in poor clarity conditions. And when driving through tunnels. Fog lights may only use in foggy conditions. The use of seat belts is compulsory for all passengers. It is forbidden to talk on the phone without hands-free, the fine reaches €600.