The Autonomous Region of Navarra is located in the northern part of the Iberian Peninsula and is a relatively small region of Spain.
In the east, Navarre borders with France, in the south – with Aragon, in the west – with the Basque Country.
The central and northern part of the region occupies a mountainous territory, that is, a significant part of the entire autonomy.
Navarra is divided into three geographical zones, which are strikingly different from each other:
- the southern part by the Ebro River – Ribeira de Navarra;
- the central part of valleys and lowlands – the Middle Zone;
- high-mountainous region in the north of the region – Mountain Zone.
Capital and major major cities
The capital of the autonomy is Pamplona, which is home to most of all Navarra.
There are five historical regions on the territory of the region:
- Chair – Pamplona.
- Tierra Estela.
The largest rivers of the autonomy are: Bidasoa, Aragon and Arakil.
The historical regions of Navarra are called meridades and they have no administrative functions.
Like many other regions of the country, Navarra is famous for its attractions:
- wine cellars Bodegas de Navarra;
- Leire Monastery;
- Cathedral of Santa Maria;
- bullring Plaza de Toros;
- the old town of Lizarre;
- Uhue fortress;
- the fortress walls of Artakhon.
The most significant and popular among tourists are the three castles of the autonomy:
- Castle of the kings of Navarre in Olita , built in the 15th century.
- Santakara Castle of the 13th century, from which only the tower has survived to this day.
- Javier Castle , built in the X century.
Natural parks and reserves
There are many places, corners and zones in the autonomy that are under state protection.
Three natural parks can be especially distinguished, which are a protected area and the pride of the country:
- Bardenas Reales is located in the southern part of Navarra, near the Tudela region, between the Aragon and Ebro rivers, and is divided into three zones: Bardena Negra, Bardena Blanca and Plain. Its main highlight is the stunning beauty of the landscapes.
- Urbasa Andia Park is located in the western part of the region near the town of Estella.
- El Senorio de Bertis Park is already the north of Navarra, Bertizaran region.
Airports and transport
The main and main airport of the Autonomous Region of Navarra is Pamplona Airport , which is located six kilometers from the provincial capital.
It is a small airport with the main flights to Barcelona and Madrid.
Railway transport in Navarra is not particularly developed, there are only three branches in the region: Bilbao – Castejón, Alsausa – Zaragoza and Madrid – Endaya.
But the highways in Navarra are quite developed, since the bus service is the main mode of transport here. There are many intercity and suburban buses departing from Pamplona every day.
Weather and climatic conditions
Navarra, according to its climatic conditions, is divided into three distinct zones: coastal, intermediate and wet.
Basically, the region is warm and dry, but there are also cold snowy winters, especially in the highlands and mountainous areas.
In the northern part of Navarra, it is quite humid, with cool summers and cold winters, but in the south of the province, winters are milder and there is little rainfall.
The lowest temperature is + 2 ° С, the maximum is + 27 ° С, the driest month is August. There is no sweltering heat here, so this autonomous region is ideal for those who cannot stand the stuffiness.