How to Get a Free Hotel Stay on a Long Layover with Shanghai Airlines
Long layovers can be exhausting and boring, especially if you have to spend them at the airport. But what if you could get a free hotel room to rest and relax during your transit? That’s exactly what Shanghai Airlines offers to its passengers who have a long layover in Shanghai. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about this service, including the conditions, the benefits, the drawbacks, and how to apply. We will also share some other airlines that offer similar services in other cities.
What are the conditions for getting a free hotel stay with Shanghai Airlines?
Not everyone can get a free hotel stay on a long layover with Shanghai Airlines. You need to meet certain conditions to qualify for this service. These are:
- You have a confirmed ticket with Shanghai Airlines, either as a single carrier or as part of a codeshare agreement with China Eastern Airlines.
- You have a layover of more than 6 hours and less than 24 hours in Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) or Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA).
- You do not have a residence or work permit in China.
- You are not traveling on a group ticket or a charter flight.
- You have not requested a voluntary change of your itinerary.
If you meet these conditions, you can apply for a free hotel stay at the transit service counter of Shanghai Airlines at the airport.
How to apply for a free hotel stay with Shanghai Airlines?
Applying for a free hotel stay with Shanghai Airlines is easy and simple. You just need to follow these steps:
- Present your passport, visa (if required), boarding pass, and luggage tag at the transit service counter of Shanghai Airlines at the airport.
- The staff will check your eligibility and arrange a hotel for you. You will also receive a voucher for transportation between the airport and the hotel.
- Enjoy your free hotel stay and return to the airport in time for your next flight.
You don’t need to make any reservation or payment in advance. However, you should apply as soon as possible after your arrival, as the availability of hotels is subject to change.
What are the benefits of getting a free hotel stay with Shanghai Airlines?
Getting a free hotel stay on a long layover with Shanghai Airlines has many benefits for travelers. Some of them are:
- You can rest and refresh yourself in a comfortable hotel room, instead of spending hours at the airport.
- You can enjoy complimentary breakfast and Wi-Fi at the hotel.
- You can explore Shanghai if you have enough time and interest. The hotel staff can help you with directions and suggestions.
- You can save money on accommodation and transportation costs.
Shanghai is a vibrant and modern city that offers many attractions and experiences for visitors. You can visit landmarks such as the Bund, the Oriental Pearl Tower, the Yu Garden, and the Nanjing Road. You can also sample delicious local cuisine, shop for souvenirs, or enjoy the nightlife.
What are the drawbacks of getting a free hotel stay with Shanghai Airlines?
Getting a free hotel stay on a long layover with Shanghai Airlines also has some drawbacks that you should be aware of. Some of them are:
- You might need to apply for a transit visa or an entry permit to leave the airport, depending on your nationality and destination. This might take some time and money.
- You might need to collect your checked baggage and re-check it in before your next flight. This might be inconvenient and risky if you have fragile or valuable items.
- You might miss your connecting flight if there is any delay or traffic jam between the hotel and the airport. You should always leave enough time for check-in and security procedures.
You should also check the weather and dress accordingly, as Shanghai can be very hot or cold depending on the season. You should also respect the local customs and laws, and avoid any trouble or conflict.
Other airlines that offer free hotel stays on long layovers
Shanghai Airlines is not the only airline that offers free hotel stays on long layovers. Some other airlines that provide this service are:
- Air China: If you have a layover of more than 6 hours and less than 24 hours in Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Tianjin, or Hohhot, you can get a free hotel stay with Air China. You need to book your ticket through Air China’s official website or app, and apply for the service at