As for accommodation, in the cities located on Lake Como, you will find options for every taste and budget – from luxurious villas and chic 5 * hotels overlooking Lake Como, to cheap guest houses with decent service for those on a budget.
Where to stay on Lake Como?
Each city has its own uniqueness and peculiarity, so first I recommend that you decide on the format of your vacation. And already based on the description of the cities, choose your option to your liking. For your convenience, we have prepared a guide to the best cities and resorts in this beautiful corner of Northern Italy.
The city of Como is the most famous on the lake of the same name, it is surrounded by green hills and beautiful landscapes. In the historic part of the city, there are several lovely squares with charming cafes with outdoor terraces where people meet to chat and enjoy good food. You can easily experience the real Italian lifestyle in busy shops or noisy bars.
Como has many historical sites, such as:
- The Romanesque Basilica of San Fedele (Basilica di San Fedele), dating back to the 7th century, although what can be seen today was built in 1120, after the relics of the Roman martyr San Fedele were buried here in the altar.
- The old funicular takes 7 minutes to reach Brunate, a pretty village that seems to float over Lake Como. There are certainly great views from here, but if you want to admire the expansive scenic panorama, you’ll have to climb even higher up the hills.
You can stay in one of the large old hotels in the very center of the city or choose middle class hotels of the 3 * category.
Where to stay in Como:
- Hotel Metropole Suisse – this 4 * hotel is located in the heart of Como, directly opposite the harbor. Rooms are classically furnished and offer views of the lake and the Alps. The hotel has a restaurant with a terrace serving fresh fish. The hotel is conveniently located for exploring the city.
- Hotel Como – in my opinion, is one of the best hotels in this city. The rooftop terrace offers magnificent mountain and lake views. The spacious rooms at this 4 * hotel are decorated in a simple modern style with wooden floors, large, comfortable beds and neutral colors. There are excellent coffee shops and bakeries nearby, and the ancient castle of Baradello is less than a kilometer away.
- Hotel Rossovino Como. The hotel is located just 15 minutes from the center of Como. This is a great option for those looking to save some money. The hotel has a sun terrace and a lovely small garden. Guests have free access to the pool and fitness room. An excellent breakfast with fresh pastries and fruits is served in the morning. The hotel also offers free underground parking.
Bellagio is one of the most popular resorts on Lake Como. This tiny town sits on a hilltop between two beautiful beaches.
Bellagio is full of history, as it was known back in the era of Ancient Rome. The extensive promenade with lovely views of the mountains and lakes is an excellent place for romantic evening walks. In addition, guests of the city can enjoy their walks along the cobbled streets of Bellagio, shop in boutiques and dine in one of the restaurants. Bellagio has a pier from where ferries run to other towns around the lake.
Due to the fact that Bellagio is a small town, it is better to book accommodation here in advance.
Ask a Question
The most common type of accommodation in Bellagio is apartments. However, there are also hotels of all categories. Many luxury 5 * hotels have their own access to the beach, which is especially important in the summer season.
Where to stay in Bellagio:
- Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni. This luxury 5 * hotel was built in 1873 and is managed by the third generation of one Italian family. The architecture and interiors of the building have preserved impressive staircases and frescoed ceilings. The hotel has 2 gardens, indoor and outdoor pools, and a spa center. Beautifully located at the end of the Bellagio promenade, the hotel boasts stunning views of Lake Como and the Alps. The service here is, as you would expect, top notch.
- Hotel Belvedere. This luxury hotel was built in 1880 and has been owned by four generations of women since then. The hotel is located practically on the shores of Lake Como and close to the Bellagio ferry terminal, making travel to other cities easily accessible for you. Since the hotel is located a bit away from the busy city center, here you will have the opportunity to spend some time in peace and quiet.
- Hotel Du Lac. The hotel is located in the heart of Bellagio, in the main square, directly opposite the pier. Hotel guests have a great opportunity to plunge into the local atmosphere and visit local cafes and bars. Back at the hotel, you can dine at the rooftop restaurant, which offers wonderful views of Lake Como.
The tiny town of Menaggio is located on the western shore of Lake Como. At this point, the valley begins, which connects Como with another equally picturesque lake Lugano. This advantageous geographical position has made Menaggio a popular and vibrant resort town.
Thanks to its well-developed transport links, this city has become an ideal starting point for a variety of excursions: by taking a boat trip you can explore the ancient villas with beautiful parks, by bus you will pass through the colorful valleys dotted with numerous villages, neighborhood.
Also Menaggio is great for beach holidays and water sports.
Ask a Question
Bakeries, various cafes and restaurants offer fresh and inexpensive food. On the central square of Piazza Garibaldi, in the lovely cafe Caffе Centrale, you can sit comfortably at a table and watch the unhurried life of local Italians, enjoy a cup of aromatic coffee with a fresh croissant. For those with a sweet tooth, we advise you to enjoy the most delicious ice cream in one of the local gelaterias – Gelateria Edo, which is also located in Piazza Garibaldi. For accommodation, you can choose one 3 * hotel with a beautiful landscaped garden, swimming pool and lake views.
Where to stay in Menaggio:
- Grand Hotel Menaggio. This magnificent hotel is located right on the lake. Here you can swim in the heated outdoor pool, dine in one of the two restaurants, or simply relax surrounded by beautiful gardens overlooking the lake. In the evenings, you can enjoy live piano music on the terrace with a drink from the bar.
- Hotel Garni Corona. The hotel boasts a delightful view of Lake Como. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere here. Guests of the hotel will appreciate its excellent location, in the main square of Menaggio with many restaurants and shops, as well as close to public transport and the pier. The hotel’s rooms are decorated in an elegant Italian style, some with charming balconies overlooking the lake.
The charming town of Varenna, located in the eastern part of Lake Como, will definitely suit your taste: old buildings, interesting streets fanning out from the central square, beautiful nature create an incredible atmosphere.
One of the main attractions in Varenna, which attracts many visitors, is the promenade, one of the best in this part of Lake Como.
Ask a Question
Beach lovers love spending their weekends at the local pebble beach, having picnics or just hanging out with friends.
In the vicinity of Varenna, it is worth exploring the famous Italian villas – Monastero and Cipressi. Both villas are surrounded by beautiful gardens with a variety of plants and flowers, as well as elegant sculptures. Villa Monastero, a former Cistercian monastery, has been an international cultural and research center since 1963.
Varenna has a ferry dock and train station, which means you can easily reach other resorts around the lake without any problems.
For accommodation, you can choose one of the luxurious private hotels on the shore of the lake. A little higher up the slope, there are a few more inexpensive hotel options that boast great views of the lake and the surrounding area.
Where to stay in Varenna:
- Hotel du Lac Varenna. This hotel is located in the center of Varenna, among the picturesque hills. Located close to the shores of Lake Como, it has its own pier. Staying at this hotel will relate your entire stay to the magnificent Lake Como – from staying in a room overlooking the emerald water to a delicious lunch on the terrace right by the shore.
If you want a bit of luxury at a budget price, choose the beautiful city of Lecco, located on the southeastern shores of Lake Como. First of all, the city is famous for its stunning beautiful nature and centuries-old history. In Lecco, there are about a hundred monuments of history and culture.
The central square of the city is Piazza XX Settembre (20 September), around which the main attractions are concentrated. Among them, it is especially worth highlighting the Basilica of St. Nicholas, which has one of the tallest columns in Italy.
Accommodation in the local hotels overlooking the lake will cost you much less than in other resorts of Como. Basically, there are stylish boutique hotels with pretty balconies.
Ask a Question
Lecco has a pier from where you can take a ferry ride along the lake and admire the picturesque scenery. Along the Lecco promenade, there are many cafes and restaurants offering delicious food and wines, and one of the local gelaterias offers the famous Sicilian ice cream for which Lecco is famous.
Also, the city of Lecco is a key transit hub for trains going to Bergamo and Milan.
Where to stay in Lecco:
- NH Lecco Pontevecchio. The NH Lecco Pontevecchio is a large, modern hotel located just outside the many other hotels in Lecco. Both the hotel itself and the rooms are decorated in a minimalist style. The hotel is superbly located – the historic center of Lecco is just a five minute walk and the train station is just a ten minute walk.
- Hotel Alberi. The hotel is located in the city center, just 300 meters from Lecco Train Station. This option is ideal for those travelers planning to arrive (or leave) to Lecco by train. The hotel is not located on the very shore of the lake, but it boasts magnificent views of the bay.
Bellano’s main attraction is its beach, surrounded by luxury hotels with beachside pools, bars and restaurants, with terraces overlooking Lake Como.
Staying in Bellano, you will enjoy a wonderful Italian style holiday surrounded by panoramic views, soaking up the glorious local culture. Every August, Bellano hosts an opera festival that attracts hundreds of spectators. In the vicinity of the city there are many ancient villages scattered over the hills, with ancient churches.
Also in the suburbs of Bellano there are a huge number of interesting routes that are ideal for hikers.
Where to stay in Bellano:
- Hotel Meridiana. This cozy, charming hotel is located on the shores of Lake Como. There is a beautiful garden and a beautiful terrace overlooking the lake, where lunch and dinner are served in summer. Each room has a private balcony with stunning panoramic views, especially during the sunsets. The hotel features a small private part of the pebble beach with sun loungers.
Lezzeno stretches for 7 kilometers and consists of several small villages that are located along the coast and on the mountain slopes. Here you will find beautiful traditional Italian houses with elegantly decorated gardens overflowing with flowers and other plants. From everywhere there are stunning views of Lake Como and its only island, Isola Comacina.
For your stay, you can choose one of the elegant hotels surrounded by bars and restaurants. This city is not very popular with tourists, so a more relaxing holiday in traditional Italian style awaits you here.
Where to stay in Lezzeno:
- Filario Hotel & Residences. Excellent 4 * hotel. Swimming pool with panoramic views of Lake Como. The rooms are furnished with luxurious furnishings and are distinguished by sophistication in design, making them very comfortable and luxurious. The windows of the deluxe rooms offer a delightful view of the lake. The hotel has a private beach and an excellent restaurant. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, then this hotel is perfect for you.
- Hotel Villa Aurora. The interiors of the hotel are decorated in a vintage style, but with a touch of modern luxury. The hotel has two bars, as well as a restaurant with a terrace, where you can dine against the backdrop of the picturesque island of Comacina. This 3 * hotel with its own beach, located right on the shore of the lake, will not leave anyone indifferent.
Cernobbio is located near the Swiss border at the foot of Mount Bisbino. This place has always been popular with tourists; wealthy families from Milan and Rome have rested here. This has led to the emergence of a huge number of stunning old Italian villas and magnificent gardens on the lake.
Cernobbio is the start of the 125 km long hiking trail “The Path of the Larian Mountains”, a fascinating walk along trails that starts at the foot of Mount Bizbino and ends in the town of Soriko.
Ask a Question
Cernobbio has a ferry dock from where you can go for walks in the scenic spots along Lake Como.
There is also a bus stop in the city, where most of the bus routes that run through the different cities of Lake Como stop.
My options for where to stay in Cernobbio:
- Hotel Asnigo is a luxurious Art Nouveau hotel located less than a kilometer from the lake. The hotel boasts spectacular views of Cernobbio and Lake Como, ideal for romantic walks and magnificent sunsets.
- Hotel Centrale. Located in the city center, this hotel is housed in a traditional villa with true Italian charm. It is also just 100 meters from the shores of Lake Como. For boat trips along Lake Como, you can head to the ferry pier, 200 meters away.
Overlooking Lake Como and ancient architecture, Tremezzo is a lively city located on the western shore of Lake Como. It is interesting in that it seems to consist of two parts: one is located near the water, and the other on the hillside.
In Tremezzo, you can touch the history by wandering along the paths along which the most famous personalities once walked – Giuseppe Verdi, Queen Victoria of England and others. The area’s classic Italian villas and luxury hotels blend in perfectly with the lakeside landscape.
One of the most famous villas in the area is Villa Carlotta. The magnificent architecture of the villa is surrounded by an equally luxurious garden in the classic Italian style. Stairs, fountains and sculptures literally get lost among the lush vegetation. The best time to visit Villa Carlotta is in the spring, when it is surrounded by blooming azaleas and rhododendrons.
Where to stay in Tremezzo:
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo. This magnificent 5 * hotel, located on the shores of Lake Como, 3 minutes walk from Villa Carlotta. The hotel has a SPA center, 3 swimming pools (one of which is installed directly in the lake) and numerous restaurants and bars. As well as an outdoor hot tub overlooking the lake. Sports enthusiasts will appreciate the state-of-the-art gym and treadmills that run along the beautiful grounds of the hotel.
- Hotel La Perla. This hotel is located in the hills of Tremezzo overlooking the lake. It is a picturesque, calm place to relax. It offers a small outdoor pool surrounded by picturesque olive trees, and a terrace bar where you can enjoy drinks and enjoy the beautiful views. The balconies of the rooms are decorated in a traditional Italian style and offer an unforgettable view of the lake. You can walk to Tremezzo in around 15 minutes.
10. Griante Cadenabbia
Griante Cadenabbia is a small town located on the western shore of Lake Como and surrounded by stunning landscapes. This place is very popular in spring and autumn, when the trees change color, which makes Cadenabbia even more attractive.
This place is famous for its resort features; medical sanatoriums are located here. Therefore, tourists return here from year to year to improve their health and enjoy all kinds of wellness treatments. Gorgeous villas with huge gardens, stylish hotels with pools located on the waterfront, offer good (for such luxurious surroundings) prices for accommodation.
Where to stay in Griante Cadenabbia:
- The Grand Hotel Cadenabbia is truly a grand hotel. It has amazing views of the surrounding lakes and mountains, with some great views, too. Outdoor pool surrounded by green gardens. At this hotel, you will spend unforgettable days enjoying the sun on the rooftop terrace and admiring the sophistication of the Italian interior décor. It is close to Villa Carlotta’s magnificent garden and other attractions.
- Hotel Riviera. This hotel is set in an amazing location with stunning views of Lake Como and the nearby town of Bellagio. The hotel dates back to the late 19th century and has been run by an Italian family for over 30 years. A friendly atmosphere, rooms with panoramic views and a fantastic lakeside location – you will find everything you need for your perfect holiday at this hotel.
The oldest city of Moltrasio is located on the western shore of Lake Como. The sunny location, mild climate and magnificent 19th century villas, which hosted such influential figures as Winston Churchill and Gianni Versace, make Moltrasio an ideal holiday destination.
Walking around the city, you will enjoy the ideal architecture of the local churches, one of which is the parish church of San Martino with magnificent frescoes. Experience the luxurious life of the rich and famous who stay in the luxurious villas here.
Expensive and exclusive hotel rooms in this part of the lake are not cheap at all.
Where to stay in Moltrasio:
- Grand Hotel Imperiale Resort. If you are looking for a place where there is literally everything for a comfortable stay on Lake Como, then the Grand Hotel Imperiale Resort is the perfect option. The hotel is housed in an old Art Nouveau villa built in the 1920s. SPA center, indoor pool and Turkish bath. The hotel has a lovely garden and a tennis court.
The city of Malgrate is located in the eastern part of Lake Como opposite Lecco and is connected to it by the famous Visconti bridge, which was built in 1336 under the supervision of the ruler of Milan, Azzone Visconti.
The surrounding scenic spots can be easily reached by the nearby road. Spend your weekend staying in luxurious, tastefully furnished villas surrounded by stunning natural surroundings.
Where to stay in Malgrate:
- Clarion Collection Hotel Griso – 15 minutes drive from the center of Lecco, this hotel is the ideal place to stay. The hotel has large panoramic windows from where you will enjoy the stunning scenery. There is a rooftop Jacuzzi with mountain and lake views, and a great restaurant.
- Hotel Promessi Sposi. The hotel is surrounded by picturesque mountains and is located on the shores of Lake Como. This 3 * hotel is ideal for hikers. Cycling is also possible in the surrounding area, and the hotel also offers a bicycle rental service. The rustic rooms are extraordinarily comfortable and the views are so stunning that you can see Lake Como from the comfort of your bed. The hotel has an excellent restaurant with lake and mountain views. This place is quite quiet, so a calm and measured rest awaits you here.
Colico, Italy, is the most extreme town on the east coast of Lake Como, at the foot of Monte Legnone. The city has excellent transport links – from here you can get to Milan by train or by ferry – to the cities of Como and Lecco.
One of the main attractions of Colico are the ruins of the ancient fortress Fort Fuentes (Forte di Fuentes), built in 1600 on the hill of Montejolo.
It is in Colico that the famous Abbey of Piona is located – one of the most romantic architectural monuments of the Lombardy region and one of the most beautiful monasteries in northern Italy. Inside the abbey, you can buy natural products created by hardworking monks – medicinal herbs, honey and the famous liqueur made in accordance with ancient traditions.
This lake area is very popular with kitesurfing sports enthusiasts.
Ask a Question
Mostly mid-range hotels are offered for accommodation, here are my recommendations for where to stay in Colico:
- Hotel Lago di Como. The hotel is located in the center of Colico and close to the train station. Therefore, if you travel by train, then this hotel will be the ideal option. The modern rooms are decorated with antique features such as high ceilings and wood beams. This combination creates a beautiful and cozy interior design. From here you can easily reach the surrounding towns by boat.
Argegno is a small village located on the shores of Lake Como, in its deepest part. An ideal place for a romantic getaway, here you can walk for hours along the promenade, stopping at numerous cafes and restaurants. You will be so enchanted by this place that you will want to stay much longer than you originally planned.
One of the attractions of Argegno is the Argegno Pigra cable car, which connects the two villages and runs at an altitude of 200 to 850 meters above sea level. During the trip, you can admire the beauty of the local scenic nature and magnificent mountain landscapes.
Guests can stay in regular apartments or traditional hotels. Where to stay in Argegno?
- Villa Belvedere Como Lake Relais. The hotel is in the center of Argegno and also a few minutes from the pier. The hotel has a spacious dining room located right on the beach. Sitting at a table with a glass of wine and enjoying delicious dishes from freshly caught fish, you can watch the boats come and go, or just admire the mesmerizing sunset. The hotel has its own beach.
The picturesque town of Gravedona is a traditional fishing town that attracts holidaymakers with delicious cuisine.
As guests slowly enjoy the local lifestyle and the magnificent scenery around the lake, the city has an unusually calm atmosphere. After walking through the Old Town, be sure to stop by one of the coastal cafes for a little rest and a cup of aromatic coffee or a glass of wine.
The Palace of Gallio is one of the main attractions of Gravedona. This building is an example of elegant architecture. Today it hosts various exhibitions and other cultural events.