Yas Marina Circuit is one of the most exciting and versatile venues in the United Arab Emirates. It is located on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, and hosts the annual FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX, as well as many other events and activities. In this article, we will take a closer look at the history, features, events, and attractions of this amazing facility.
The Origins of Yas Marina Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit designed by the famous German architect Hermann Tilke, who is responsible for many other Formula 1 circuits around the world. The construction of the circuit started in 2007 and completed in 2009, just before the first Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The circuit cost around $1.3 billion to build and covers an area of 161.9 hectares.
The circuit has many unique features, such as being the first and only circuit to host a Formula 1 race that begins in daylight and ends at night, thanks to its advanced lighting system. Circuit also has a 5.5 km long track with 21 turns, a top speed of 325 km/h, and a 1.2 km long pit lane that runs under the track. The circuit can hold up to 60,000 spectators and has various grandstands, hospitality suites, and viewing platforms.
The Features of Yas Marina Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit is not only a place for professional motorsports, but also a destination for entertainment and community events in the UAE. The circuit offers a variety of activities and experiences for visitors of all ages and interests, such as:
- Driving and passenger experiences: Visitors can choose from a range of cars, from Formula 1 cars to Aston Martins, and drive or ride on the circuit with professional instructors. They can also have fun with drifting, drag racing, karting, and off-road driving at the circuit.
- Yas Events Centre: The circuit has a dedicated events management team that can organize and deliver corporate meetings, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, festivals, and weddings at the circuit or beyond. The circuit has several venues for hire, such as the Media Centre, the Paddock Club, the North Grandstand, and the Yas Marina.
- Yas in Schools: The circuit supports the education and development of young students through its STEM-focused programmes that use the world of Formula 1 and motorsports to inspire and engage them. Students can design, manufacture, and test small model cars, and compete in regional and international competitions.
- Yas Track Nights: The circuit opens its track to the public every week for free, allowing people to walk, run, cycle, or rollerblade on the circuit. This is a popular activity for fitness enthusiasts and families, who can also enjoy music, food, and entertainment at the circuit.
- Yas Marina: The circuit surrounded by a beautiful marina that hosts a variety of yachts, boats, and water sports. Visitors can also dine at one of the many restaurants and cafes at the marina, or enjoy the nightlife at the bars and clubs.
The Events at Yas Marina Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit hosts a number of exciting and prestigious events throughout the year, both on and off the track. Some of the most notable events are:
- Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: The highlight of the circuit’s calendar, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is the final race of the Formula 1 season and attracts thousands of fans and celebrities from around the world. The race known for its spectacular atmosphere, thrilling action, and amazing entertainment, including concerts by world-famous artists.
- Yasalam: The largest city-wide entertainment festival in the region, Yasalam held in conjunction with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and features a series of concerts, parties, community events, and cultural activities across Abu Dhabi.
- Gulf 12 Hours: The longest and most challenging endurance race in the Middle East, the Gulf 12 Hours held in December and sees teams of drivers compete in two six-hour races on the circuit. The race features a variety of cars, from GT3 to LMP3, and attracts some of the best drivers and teams in the world.
- Yas Super Street Challenge: The ultimate street racing event in the UAE, the Yas Super Street Challenge held in January and February and sees amateur and professional drivers compete in drag races on the circuit’s drag strip. The event features different categories, such as 4×4, SUV, and bikes, and offers cash prizes and trophies to the winners.
The Attractions near Yas Marina Circuit
Yas Marina Circuit is located on Yas Island, one of the most popular destinations in Abu Dhabi. Yas Island offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors, such as:
- Ferrari World Abu Dhabi: The world’s first Ferrari-branded theme park, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi features over 20 rides and attractions, including the world’s fastest roller coaster, Formula Rossa, and the world’s highest roller coaster loop, Flying Aces.
- Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi: The world’s largest indoor theme park, Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi features six themed lands, such as Gotham City, Metropolis, and Cartoon Junction, and over 30 rides and attractions, featuring iconic characters from DC Comics, Looney Tunes, and Hanna-Barbera.
- Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi: The UAE’s first mega water park, Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi features over 40 rides and attractions, including the world’s first hydro-magnetic tornado water slide, Dawwama, and the world’s largest surfable sheet wave, Bubble’s Barrel.
- Yas Mall: The largest mall in Abu Dhabi, Yas Mall features over 400 stores, a 24-screen cinema, a family entertainment zone, and a food court with over 60 dining options.
- Yas Beach: The ultimate beach destination on Yas Island, Yas Beach features a pristine sandy beach, a swimming pool, a beach bar, a restaurant, and a range of water sports and activities.
Yas Marina Circuit is more than just a racing circuit, it is a destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you are a motorsports fan, an adrenaline junkie, a culture lover, or a family traveler, you will find something to enjoy and remember at Yas Marina Circuit. Visit the circuit’s website to find out more about its events, experiences, and offers, and book your tickets today.